Keeping Children Safe's certification scheme is for all organisations that come into contact with children
BENEFITS OF CERTIFICATION
- External verification by experts that child safeguarding measures are ‘fit for purpose’
- Award of the Keeping Children Safe kite mark, a visible symbol of quality performance in child safeguarding
- A guarantee to donors, partners and the public generally, of your organisation's commitment and competence in the area of child safeguarding
- Support to increasing quality, effectiveness and accountability in other areas across the organisation.
Keeping Children Safe's certification process, based on the International Child Safeguarding Standards, is the most effective way to demonstrate commitment to protecting children from harm and exploitation. Level 1 Certification ensures that the organisation has an effective child safeguarding framework in place. Level 2 Certification ensures that an organisation is implementing its child safeguarding policy and procedures. Level 2 Certification is awarded with a kite mark.
“As a child rights organisation, protection of children is of the utmost importance to us. We are resolute to uphold the highest standards in keeping children safe. This Level 1 certification recognises Plan’s efforts and also sets the bar for all organisations in the development sector to ensure that we are doing all we can to keep children safe.” - Nigel Chapman, Plan International CEO
The Certification process is made up of eight steps:
- Application and eligibility: The organisation completes the application form. KCS assesses if the organisation is eligible and an auditor is assigned to the project to support /guide the organisation through the process. KCS evaluates the scope of the work, sends a proposal with costs, activities and timescale and signs an agreement with the organisation
- Self-assessment completed by organisation against all standards. Supporting evidence, as requested by KCS is submitted
- Evidence check, review of assessment and follow up (remote) interview /s
- Level 1 certification is awarded or improvement plan: KCS creates a report with conclusions and recommendations towards Certification Level 2 or an improvement plan to prepare the organisation for re submission
- Application for Certification Level 2
- Audit visit: KCS supports with preparation and conducts audit visit /s. A detailed report of the audit findings is presented to the Certification Panel with recommendations on full certification
- Certification panel assessment: A panel of independent experts will determine whether or not the organisation is awarded full (Level 2) certification
- Level 2 certification met - Certification recommendation reviewed and approved by independent panel
- Level 2 certification not met or not approved - organisation develops further improvement plan based on audit outcomes and recommendations
- Certification Level 2 is awarded.
Certification is valid for three years.
“I am delighted Terre des Hommes has gained Level 1 certification from Keeping Children Safe. As a leading advocate of child rights ensuring we are doing all we can to safeguard children is a top priority. By working with Keeping Children Safe we are able to benchmark ourselves in the sector and gain considerable knowledge from the networks experiences.“ - Ignacio Packer, Secretary General, Terre des Hommes International Federation.
If you have any questions or would like a free consultation, please contact: Alex Dressler, Head of Capacity Building. Telephone: +44 (0) 207 250 8325. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org